Thursday, October 8, 2009

How do you make an Indian unhappy?

OK. So I work with the Tohono O'odham in the hay sales office. It is not a high volume traffic office. I have to answer phones (maybe 3-10 calls each day), clean the offices (sweep, mop, dust & sanitize), and sell hay. Between customers and after my chores are finished, I can craft or read.

My craft of choice is beading. I do several different stitches, but I work mainly in peyote stitch. I had a customer come in and his eyes lit up. He was needed someone who did the peyote stitch for his Native American feather fans. He was just so happy. I really hated to disappoint him. He came in on another day with a sample of what he was doing, a beautiful fan. Then I told him the bad news.

I am not Native American. He needed someone who was Native American to do the work, in order to keep the authenticity. He was so disappointed.

I am aware of the Act prohibiting non-Natives from presenting their work as American Indian, and would not do anything to jeopardize his product. I was flattered that he considered my work of a quality he could utilize.

I did offer to teach someone the stitch, so he could continue with his fine work. I hope he will be able to find someone to do the work for him.

UPDATE: Johnny came in and I made him an offer. I will teach anyone, he wants, to bead. He was thrilled with this. He knows of a woman who is alone and has a lot of time on her hands, and getting involved with beading would be great for her.

1 comment:

  1. lol. thats funny. I am O'odham. just surfing. dont let anyone discourage you.
    i would love to learn. email. redogg90@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete