Saturday, February 21, 2009

New week, new job

I survived working at the Gem & Mineral show. It was an interesting experience. Interesting because I am approaching my 6th decade, and I was able to do the work required. I worked the register, stocked merchandise and made recommendations of which product was the best for the beading project someone had in mind. I really felt energized. The first three days were bad, but I was able to work out of the muscle soreness, with Aspercream and ibuprophen. Oh, and I lost about 10 pounds. I now weigh less than the weight listed on my driver's license.

After finishing the work, and getting back to what I have been doing for the last year -looking for a permanent position - I got the call. I have accepted a secretary position with a local Indian tribe. They sell hay, and basically I am a cashier, with other duties. This is kinda nice position to be in. I am close to work, the drive is nice, there are no stop lights, and pretty much a straight line to the office. We will see what happens. It will be different.

Of course, this new job started two days after picking up a new dog. I used to raise dalmatians, and have a soft spot for the spots. I had to have my last dog put down a year ago, actually about the time I lost my last permanent job. Anyway, this dog is older, and the previous owner's wife did not get along with "Rosie." So through a friend of a friend, I found Rosie and brought her home. She is a sweet dog, and is protective. She seems to be fitting in real well in my house. I guess I should have gotten a new dog a long time ago, but I probably would not have found Rosie.

2 comments:

  1. Lakotalady said...
    Hi there! I cannot believe we have so much in common. All the above, LOL. I'm just getting started getting all the supplies for my beading hobby, finding a lot on ebay. I'm down to 3 dogs now, a Min Pin, a Red Nosed Pitt Bull and a Heinz 57 big black dog that we love like our own babies. And I'm a rock nut, rocks of all kinds, pretty rocks, unusual one's...even ugly rocks sometimes, LOL. I am going to hit the big 63 in July, yuck! A triple Leo! Icey/hot is great for those muscle cramps.
    I live in the outback counrty in Northern Az, NE of Kingman. I'm up by the Skywalk on the West rim of the canyon, High desert.
    Out of curiousity, what brought you to my blog? I see you are into Native American beading, are you a Native? I rant about alot of things that pertain to our culture. And other stuff. If you like to chat, my blog address is at the top of the homepage. If that don't work, let me know and I'll give you my other one. Have a great day! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not native, but I appreciate a lot of the history and philosophy of the Native American people. I believe that my grandmother was 1/2. I have no knowledge of which tribe. Her family come from Indiana.
    I started silversmithing in the 70's, and worked from there. I do leatherwork and leather braiding, too. I am starting to make designs. I have some completed items on Etsy at the sight listed in my profile.
    I am currently working for the Tohono O'odham in a small office.
    I hate the city, just too noisy. I prefer the wide open spaces and welcome the wind when it opens my front door.
    I am not sure why I came to your blog. I think it was a random search (next blog) and I tripped upon it. I liked what you had to say and wanted to learn more of your viewpoint.
    I am a Leo also, approaching 58 next August.

    ReplyDelete