Monday, April 9, 2012

Talking in your sleep, or is it more?

When I was growing up, I had two brothers. I slept in one room and they shared the other bedroom. I would have bouts of not being able to sleep. I would end up passing the night reading or wandering around the house. One night, I was outside of the boy's bedroom and I could hear voices. I slowly opened the door. I mean really slowly. I didn't want any creaking to alert them to my presence in their bedroom. I slowly crept into their inner sanctum. The older brother was asking, in his sleep a question about electronics to the younger brother. The younger brother would take a few minutes and reply. Long pause, then the older brother would reply, if that was so, how about if I put a resistor in the circuit. The younger brother would again reply, in a slow manner. Back and forth. The older brother was so intrigued about electronics, and would drill the younger brother for information, so the older could work on his latest bread board project. The brothers would not acknowledge that I heard them talking in their sleep, until I asked the older brother: "Who is Rachelle?" He was so upset and beside himself. He asked where I heard that name. I told him, "You talk in your sleep." Rachelle was a girl in his class in high school. Someone he was really liked. Someone he had not shared his feelings about to anyone. But you cannot lie to yourself, in your sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment